Tema: [PSA] Battery/charging issues? Can't charge and play? Other problems? Here are some troubleshooting solutions!!!

• Usuario eliminado (9543)

18 Jun 2018 21:44

Visores

Oculus Go
    Oculus Quest 2
    Pico 4
    Usuario eliminado (9543) » 24 MAY 2019  9:30

[PSA] Battery/charging issues? Can't charge and play? Other problems? Here are some troubleshooting solutions!!!

I’ll try to keep this concise, I’ve run into more than one of these problems, and after being somewhat blown off by support I’ve managed to troubleshoot my way through them and come bearing (tentative) solutions! Note: all of my testing has been done with the official wall charger and cord. No battery packs.

Problem #1 - Play and Charge

First off let me say, Oculus doesn’t support or recommend this due to the risk of long term battery fatigue and other possible long-term battery issues (but let’s be real, all consumer devices are expected to be capable of this today, and they’re likely just avoiding liability the same way they are with battery packs). They wouldn’t offer me any tips or troubleshooting advice when I wrote to them about my device’s charge decreasing any time that is was plugged in and turned on as a result (instead insisting it was expected behavior, or “battery stress-related”, when other people clearly aren’t having this issue).

I’m not talking about the charge dropping during heavy gameplay either. Watching Netflix for 8 minutes was leading me to a 5% decrease in battery life, and playing 1 Beat Saber song was causing a 3% decrease in battery life, despite being connected to the official charger and cord, and the home screen status showing it as “charging”. I could sit on the home screen from a cold start, with a 100% charge, plugged into the wall, and watch the charge drop about 1% every 90 seconds even though it appeared to be charging.

That’s a tiny taste but I have done extensive testing here and here. After further testing, I can say with a degree of confidence that a factory reset has completely alleviated this issue (for now). I can now see a 7% increase in charge over a 40 minute Netflix session, and a 6% increase in charge while playing two Beat Saber songs. Again, a sliver of my test results but it gets the point across. Big thanks to u/atg284 and u/vanfanel1car for helping me test and troubleshoot this. This problem/solution does need further testing to ensure that this is a fix, and that there’s not still an underlying hardware defect.

Problem 2 - The device stops charging entirely and doesn’t even appear to be charging on the home screen even if it is

This is a harder one to catch and test, but my best guess is that it’s triggering the safety feature which Oculus has implemented to prevent charging if the HMD gets above a certain temperature. Oculus has confirmed that this is a feature, and that it won’t necessarily feel hot to the touch when it’s triggered since it’s monitoring the internal temperature. I have only noticed this occurring during intensive games like Drop Dead, and Vader Immortal, and I’ve even seen it start charging again after switching to a less intensive app like Netflix for a period of time, which is what leads me to believe it’s temperature related.

This is not the same issue as problem #1 based on my testing. If this issue seems to be occurring, and not allowing any charge (the status on the home screen will appear to show the device is on battery even while plugged in), try doing a manual shutdown and giving the unit some time to cool before plugging back in. It should start charging again after that. I have not tested this thoroughly since my factory reset for Problem #1, and this may be alleviated entirely now as well.

Problem #3 - Device not charging overnight, discharging when left alone, or charging slowly

This seems to be auto wake related. I have not tested this as thoroughly as problem #1, but what I can say is that my device will turn on if jostled, any time a cloth or cover is placed over the lenses, and often times when connecting the charger if my auto wake setting is on. I’ve alleviated all of the above issues by turning off the setting and manually shutting down the device any time I leave it alone for a period of time.

To manually shut down your device hold the power button for 2 seconds and select the “shut down” button on the prompt that appears. Still though, I occasionally pick up the device after leaving it to find it was in standby mode the whole time, and the shutdown prompt is still displayed- so try to make sure you give it time to shut down completely before removing the headset (since that triggers standby and seems to prevent shutdown).

Problem #4 - My device won't power on at all

Not sure what's causing this one but someone reached out to me about it after some unproductive support, and we were able to overcome it by holding the power button for 20 seconds, triggering a hard reboot. After that, he was good to go.

Non-power related issues

If you’re having audio pops or visual glitches like white noise or static, start with a complete shutdown and restart. Often times that seems to alleviate the issue. If it doesn’t, then give the factory reset a try. Oculus is aware of the audio pops and has confirmed they’re working on a fix but don’t have an ETA. I haven’t heard any official word on the visual glitches yet.

So there you have it, folks. This has already helped out some people that I’ve talked to and hopefully, it can help some more. I’m still in the process of testing all this stuff more thoroughly to ensure my device is functioning properly now, but I thought it would be good to go ahead and get the information out there.

Sources/Evidence:

People unable to charge and play

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

People who are able to charge and play

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5 (an apparent Facebook VR/AR employee's review)

My original threads describing, testing, and troubleshooting these issues

First post

Second post

Third post

The full transcript from my support ticket

Link

www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bs910v/psa_batterycharging_issues_cant_charge_and_play/

Usuarios navegando por este foro:

Stiff_Jokka 2 Anónimo